vacationland

vacationland
Vacationland (detail)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Layover



Last week was an unusual one creatively speaking. It's always hard to sustain a creative thread while away from the studio; when I found myself stuck for over an hour in an airplane on the tarmac in Charlotte, NC I was not pleased.  Having listened to the audiobook of Joshua Foer's "Moonwalking with Einstein" for a while, I needed a break, so I pulled out my sketchbook and drew out a few ideas that I'd been thinking about recently.

Upon my return to Maine I was greeted (fortuitously from a snowman point of view--though not from a human driving point of view) with a heavy dose of new fallen snow. With schools cancelled, I knew that one of my favorite models might have some time to spare, so I called her and arranged for a session. This last image in this group is the result of working with her. One can see the roughness of the first sketched idea take a more naturalistic turn.

So, bear with me, you may well see the evolution of a painting in real time. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. A timely concept and the sketch is superb. When you show progress, I'd love to see your palette layout if possible, some of the tubes you're using and perhaps even a few of the brushes. Thanks for this very interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll be turning my attention to a couple of portraits for the next couple of weeks, so when I return to this project, I'll post an image of my working setup.

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what it becomes!
    I love your blog, David.

    -h

    ReplyDelete