vacationland

vacationland
Vacationland (detail)

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

South Africa / Watercolor


As some readers may know, I am in South Africa visiting family and doing a bit of portrait painting. I'm here with my wife and children--it's a great adventure. I have fond memories of visiting people and places here when I was a child, and though it's rather different to be here as an adult (and a parent), it is still a magical place to be.
Last week, after over 24 hours of travel, including a 17 hour flight originating from Dulles airtport and via Dakar, we arrived in Cape Town; though weary for sure, all in all, we were in good spirits. We caught our breath and caught up with some relatives before quickly making our way to Hermanus, a lovely and peaceful seaside town about an hour and half's drive on the eastern (Indian Ocean side) coast. It didn't take me long to regret not having my oil paints with me so I bought a small travel watercolor kit on our first day here and have been enjoying challenging myself with the medium.  I'd like to think that I'm following in the tradition of Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent, but truly I've got a long way to go before achieving anything that resembles mastery of the medium. Nonetheless, I'll post a few of my efforts in order to share a glimpse of the stunning scenery:







2 comments:

  1. Nice work David. I particularly like the second one. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never see the Indian Ocean in person, so it's nice to see your lovely water colors of it. I'm sure you'll get the hang of this difficult medium. Your work here is beautiful as it is, however.

    ReplyDelete