vacationland

vacationland
Vacationland (detail)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cradle

This post has a few images that show my working process. The first image is the completed painting. The study "Red Cape" was the first oil study that I did for this project. Early on I envisioned the painting as a single figure sitting on the bed, however, the longer I spent with the idea the more I felt a second figure would add a significant (and enigmatic) narrative element. Initially I had thought of including one of my sons asleep on the bed; but visually it didn't work, since he would be mostly concealed by the seated figure and the cape.  There are also some preparatory drawings for the project; I'll dig them out and post them later.

"Cradle", 2010, oil on linen mounted on panel,  25" x 36"



















and the accompanying studies:

Red Cape, oil on linen mounted on panel, 12" x 15"
Sleeper, oil on rag board, 11" x 16"

1 comment:

  1. I love your work! It's absolutely gorgeous to browse through everything!!

    ReplyDelete