vacationland

vacationland
Vacationland (detail)

Thursday, March 10, 2011

You Win Again

Hank wrote the tune but I've been listening to a fantastic version by Rob Ickes, the amazing dobro player, with Robinella on vox.

The painting below is on its way to Artists' House Gallery in Philadelphia. This is about as fresh as it gets--I just finished this piece this morning. The painting is for the "Celebration of Music" exhibition which is timed to coincide with the Phildelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA), so of course I have to mention what I've been listening to as I finished up the painting. It's a smallish piece: 14" x 19". I had thought about making a painting with a musical instrument tucked in the scene somewhere, but really, 90+% of the time I experience music through the stereo rather than from a live musician, so this is perhaps more true to my experience.  Of course, I do have plenty of instruments around--including a Rob Ickes model dobro--but it was feeling a bit forced, so I just went where I would have gone anyway.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment